Year 3

If I had to rank the years of marriage thus far: 1. Year of the Granola and 2. Year of the Explorer, I would say it's a tie. I realize this is kind of an anticlimactic ranking since we've only been married two years, but they were both pretty great. I should probably let Bret vote as well because he might vote Year 1 higher than Year 2 because during Year of the Explorer I might have ended some of our explorations crying and saying something along the lines of, "I have pushed my limits, this is no longer fun". But I don't take pictures of those moments so when I look back at my albums it just looks like a constant stream of bike rides, road trips, and happy faces.

Year of the Explorer had some pretty good moments, we got to explore the South, camp in multiple locations across California, acquire road bikes and ride them through unbelievable places, eat at new hole in the wall restaurants, buy an all wheel drive vehicle, read about some very interesting explorers, and I'm pretty sure we would have discovered a new country if Spain was funding out expeditions. Here are some pics, if you're not so much into the words:

As year 3 begins, we have decided to declare it Year of the Learner. You might be thinking, 'that's awfully close to year of the explorer' but it is VERY different. So different it required capital letters.

We're excited not just to go places but to learn about them. To stop and read all the plaques at the large trees or museums. We are also both back in school, well school of sorts, and we're going to learn how to do a whole plethora of things, so watch yo' backs. If you have any recommendations of things we should be learning about, do let me know. Or if you are an expert in a certain field, you're welcome to come over any time and give us a guest lecture.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey.. i was just on the united website-- they have a special deal from washington DC to spain- $299. its a brand new flight and so its discountd for a while. maybe the year of explorer can last a while longer!!

lindsay lark said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! (all caps are a necessity on that one)

I'd be happy to come do a guest lecture on donut shops (I know a lot about what makes a good donut), or maybe about the best swimming pools in Salt Lake (I think I'm an expert after a summer of unemployment).

P.S. Is an anniversary like a birthday where calories don't count on that day? It should be.

Richard said...

I am an expert on the flora and fauna of Alpine, UT. Come for a visit and I will show you some new things!

Raven Rozier said...

Happy anniversary. Have an awesome third year!

molly said...

Happy Anniversary, the year of the learner- does this mean you wouldn't turn down subbing for seminary?

Kenneth said...

Ohhh no..you guys are in trouble. If you let me lecture I will blow your minds. haha

The Pixton Family said...

Happy Anniversary! You two are so great together.

Bret Baker said...

kenneth-

bring on the mind grenades

also, bring on the free back adjustment you owe me.

Richard said...

What a coincidence. We just started year 35 and named it Year of the LEARNER too. What are the odds of that? We have it on the agenda for me to learn housework and Wendy to learn why they put kitchens in houses. Should be a great year for all of us.

naomi said...

I have pushed my limits and this is no longer fun? hahahahahaha Congratuations!!

Monica said...

Not kidding, but this year is Year of Learning for me and Brad.

(We've been secretly copying you since we got married. This shouldn't be a surprise.)

Grandma Honey said...

That last picture...the very Fall one...is incredible. Where could it be so Fall already?? I clicked it to make it larger and it is stunning. Hope you have a poster of it in your home. I think your blog should be titled THE HAPPY COUPLE.

Richard said...

Bret chatted me yesterday on gmail. My life is now complete.