Pointless Story

Bret and I don't argue very much. Pretty much never. This isn't because we don't get mad, ohhh we get MAD, it's because we're both very passive and get very nervous in contentious situations. So we avoid them at all costs. This probably will be detrimental later in our marriage, but right now it's working out fine. However, we had an argument Saturday night, the cause: Thrifty Chocolate Malt Ball Crunch ice cream. Here's how things went down:

3:30pm- Bret and I are in San Jose and we see a RiteAid, we had a conversation about a month ago about how much we would give for the chocolate malt ball crunch ice cream of our youth. I remember this conversation and tell Bret, "PULL IN! PULL IN!". We run in, and their freezer section is empty.
5:20pm- We get home and Bret tells me to find the nearest RiteAid and call to inquire about the ice cream situation. I call, VICTORY, the Oakland store has it, however they close at 6:00pm. We don't talk, we run to the car.
5:40pm- We start getting close to the riteaid and we see some commotion going on. Bret hands me money and tells me to jump out as soon as I get the chance and he'll circle the block. Neither of us have our cell phones, so I get a little nervous when I see that the commotion is 20 police officers all surrounding the RiteAid. We get close and bret tells me to hop out. I get nervous, real nervous. For all I know it's a hostage situation inside, I mean this is Oakland. So I freeze and bret is forced to keep driving, and the fight ensues...

Bret: "GET OUT OF THE CAR"
Whit: "JUST PARK, JUST PARK"
Bret: "There's nowwwhheerree to park, what do you want me to do?"

I start pointing and yelling, probably something like "This will work, just pull over". By this time we're about 7 blocks from the Rite Aid. Finally I yell, "PULL OVER AND GET OUT, YOU GET IT". Bret gets out of the car and starts walking to Rite Aid.

I circle the hood starting to get scared of what might be happening and imagining myself as a 23 year old widow because my husband was shot in Oakland trying to get ice cream and the last thing I said to him was "GET OUT". These thoughts were probably a little exaggerated, but trust me, you would have been thinking the same thing.

Finally I get to the block Rite Aid is on and I see a bike gang of probably 10-12 bikers all parked in front of the 20 police men, I have no clue what is going on, but I pushed my back against the seat of the car (just in case there was a stray bullet, it wouldn't hit me). Then I see Bret standing on the side walk. Empty handed.

RiteAid decided to close at 5:45pm not 6:00pm.

12 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

All that and no ice cream, how sad. Sorry it ended up that way.Tom was in a similar situation when he got caught in a gang war by 6 Flags about 5 years ago.

whatthehaleman said...

Reason #1 to come stay at Casa de Hale: We have a Rite Aid a couple of miles from our house that has never let me down in the Chocolate Malted Crunch ice cream department. Plus, I've never seen cops or gangsta's there.
Reason #2: Do you really need another reason...come on
-Dave

Dominique James said...

this post made me laugh SOOOOOOO hard. I can just picture you getting all nervous. I love it.

hanner said...

Chocolate Malted Krunch is definitely worth stressing out over.

lindsay lark said...

I hope Bret made grilled cheese sandwiches when you got home and gave you the burnt one.

Richard said...

No ice cream is worth going to Oakland for...

Grandma Honey said...

Spoken like a true dad.
He says that funniest things...but I agree on this one. If there is even one cop car in front of a store, go home, no matter what kind of ice cream they have.

Monica said...

Hil-arious.

I am convinced that I will die from ice cream. How that will actually come about has yet to be determined...

kfiet said...

as usual, this pointless story of yours was anything but pointless. that being said, stories involving a person telling another to just "hop out" as they swing the car around seem to be our favorite kind of stories.

Richard said...

More advice...if they don't have it in Alameda, you don't need it. (period)

'Cus and Britt said...

I believe the ice cream that you are referring to is called, "Chocolate Malted Crunch". Believe me, it has been my favorite since I was little and my sister would tease me and tell me that the balls were fish eggs just so that I would give her my ice cream... but it never worked. I wish that we had that ice cream here! Why? WHY?!

PS what was all the ruckus... did you ever find out?

PPS I love your mom! She came to my shower and I just love how fun she is and how entertaining she is! She's the best!!!

Scott said...

I meant to post last week and tell you, but we've been able to find Chocolate Malted Crunch at this Rite Aid in Walnut Creek (where it meets with Lafayette and Pleasant Hill.

1526 Palos Verdes Mall
Walnut Creek, CA 94597

I'll have to try it again and let you know, it's been a couple of years.