pitter patter

When it rains it pours and when it's not raining lemon drops and bubble gum it's not a good idea to watch Schindler's List alone on a Friday night while your husband is at a bachelor party. 

I'm sorry I had to use the word husband, I'm trying to eliminate it from my vocabulary because I feel so awkward when I say it. I like when you find out what words people hate, like how Laura hates the word moist. I wish I hated the word moist, but I don't. However, there are a few words that I don't like but the only ones that get in the way are husband and fiance. 

It's very, very rare that I'll call bret my husband. Whew, it's hard to even type. I prefer "best friend" or "eternal room mate". The only word I feel is more uncomfortable than husband is fiance. One time I had to introduce myself to Bret's Berkeley ward and I thought, 'I can do this, I can use the word', so I said "I'm Whitney, Bret's Fiance". I said the word with a thick french accent thinking it would maybe camouflage the word and because I always feel like it's such a fancy word. It didn't camouflage anything, it just made people think I'm "spicey" which is just what you want the people at church thinking.  



7 comments:

nrozier said...

I totally agree! My least favorite word in the english vocabulary is fiance. So obnoxious. (or maybe I'm just bitter).

But "husband" is not that bad. If you start referring to him as my "DH" (darling husband) I might start puking.

P.S. This story reminds me of the time I went to see the Pianist by myself thinking it was a comedy.

whatthehaleman said...

whit. you are too funny.

Shannon Elizabeth said...

i like saying "im so and so's friend." friend is a great generic word, ranging in meanings from wife to neighbor that you don't even like. its like the ms. of relationship nouns. and im all about keeping a secret.

Melissa Egg said...

I vote for the term "partner" - then everyone would think you were spicey! I do agree though - husband and fiance seem like such grown up things to say (at least it makes me feel old to say them).

Dominique James said...

hahahahaha. you make me laugh. thank you.

wendy said...

"Cool"! love ya Aunt Wendy

rachel said...

I am the same way and it's been a year and two months. I like to say the boy that I married.