So I've read a lot of books, I'm not saying this in the "I'm such a prolific reader, it's incredible" way, but more in a way that every day I had two choices. Choice 1: do whatever worksheet the students were doing and feel really bad about myself for not knowing how to do 9th grade geometry or Option 2: read a book, and feel good about myself when I finished book. I chose the later option. (Actually, sometimes I chose option 1, but then I'd start feeling really worthless and dumb so I'd quickly switch to option 2). Here is a small review of some of the books I read (mind you, I am no master of literature, these are just my opinions):
1. The Road- Cormac McCarthy
-Lame. I'm not into pseudo philosophy
2. The Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius- David Eggers
-Fascinating. Although it was crass, it was so interesting.
3. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close-Jonathen Safran Foer
-WONDERFUL. There was a lot of hub-bub going into this book, but for right reasons. It did something a book has never done for me, it set my mind free and let it explore and begged me to find the answers for the silly questions I think about all day, like what happens when the mailman gets sick, is there a sub, or do others cover their shifts? Who thought of the lint catcher in the dryer and how exactly does that work? As well as deeper things, which I never blog about.
4. Into The Wild -Jon Krakauer
-I LIKED. I would recommend this to boys who don't read much and well anyone else. I thought it was great. It made me want to go into the wilderness and explore, however I love my family, friends, warm weather, frozen yogurt, and pizza too much to ever forsake them for a life of cold, lonely wilderness nights.
I read a couple others, but you're probably getting sick of this. So onto the next. Bret and I went to Beirut, not the country, the musical group. It was wonderful. Everyone there was INDIE EXTREME. Imagine the Urban Outfitters catalog times 1,000 and you'll have the crowd. I don't remember my exact thinking as I was getting ready for the show, but somehow I ended up there in jeans, running shoes, and a sweatshirt. Apparently an Indie no-no.
We also have been perusing local garage sales, a couple weeks ago we found a great table.
We also ran a race (we didn't take our camera to the race, so this is post race. After the race we also ate an entire large pizza, pizza is pretty much the motivation behind any running I will ever do).
9 comments:
And your sister came to visit you and you had an incredible time riding bikes, eating obscene amounts of fruit, and galavanting in the city.
i dont know if people in thailand did this but couples all over china wear matching outfits. like.. on the weekends when they go out on dates, i love it, and so do you guys i think. but our english friend out here said that if you wore matching cloths in london, youd get stuff thrown at you! crazy, huh? so just so you know, youll be safe with your outfits over here, and when we go on tour through inner mongolia as hudd acre's. -hudd
LINDS- you've ruined my next post. jk. but i don't have any pics, i need yo pics
Whitney!! It's Marie-your long lost cmm buddy. HA! How are you? You two are such a fun couple! Seems like there is never a dull moment! Glad I found you!
LOVE the matching outfits- Enoch is not a fan but at least my kids don't complain. I'm always looking for ways to match Riv, Zanna, and me.
Zion, however, doesn't look so great in pink.
i love your new table. and your HUGE CALENDAR!
plus, anna's comment is so correct, not just in London though. In Manchester i saw two teens in matching sets of track pants. they were hecked at their bus stop for about 15 minutes. I am glad America gives you and Bret the freedom to match sweatbands, headbands and other running paraphanelia
i love cormac mccarthy and my feelings are hurt
where/how/what/when that calendar? please. i need to know. it's heaven.
Post a Comment