Good-Bye My Friend



I was kind of sad to say good-bye to my little car today. I always felt like I was riding around in a little m&m that magically warmed my seat, but I no longer had use for the little guy so it was time to cut ties and let him drive freely on the streets of Oakland. I sold it at the VW dealership and the man who I did my transactions with repeatedly called me "dear" and admonished me when he found out I was Mormon and didn't vote for Romney and made me feel like I had denied my Christianity, but other than that it was a smooth deal and now bret will be on his bike and I'll be driving a mazda nissan maxima sentra, or whatever it is.

I'm not really a car person, and by "not really" i mean I could care less, but those seat warmers really warmed my back and heart. I remember my first encounter with them... my roommate Kat and I, sophomore year of college, decided that we desperatley needed frozen yogurt and had no way of getting there, so I convinced her that if we stood outside of Liberty Square and put our thumbs up certainly someone would come along and help us out. We stood out there ready to go and a nice, probably 24 year old boy picked us up in his VW. I sat in the front seat and the seat warmer must have been on level 5, and had been that way for 3 weeks, because the seat was like sitting on a curling iron with a thin piece of fabric over it, it was soo hot. I had no idea "seat heaters" existed so I didn't say anything and sat with my back as far from the back of the seat for the whole way to the frozen yogurt. I remember when I got my VW and I got in and saw the control for the seat heater, it all made sense.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Ex-girlfriend...Black Jetta. It's too bad you won't be able to sing that song anymore while driving around in your car. Not that you do actually sing that song while driving in your car...I wouldn't really know since we've never met. But, you could have. And now you can't. I don't think there's a nissan sentra song.

alisa said...

is there going to be a wake tonight to remember the car?

kfiet said...

remember when the seat warmer burned a hole through the cushion and a complimentary hole in the seat of your pants?

remember when those keys disappeared while moving out of the dirty downs? i maintain that they were flushed down the toilet along with the white dragon's (which were in actuality inside the binder). good thing we had the internet to confirm the likelihood of such an occurrence.

remember how no car ever has so faithfully made it's way to and from ghetto mav time after time? and then ptc mav for flavor comparisons? and then to chevron the next morning for a 44 oz?

remember when the valentine's sprinkles spilled into the depths of every upholstered crevice?

remember how sensitive those brakes were? good heavens.

remember the late night and mid-day clubhouse drive bys all in the name of k.i.t.?

remember how many saturday mornings i drove it up the hill to drop your ischial tuberosity off at the anatomy lab?

remember the good times. let's hitchike again soon.