I Floss My Teeth Daily

I'm not scared of many things, you could put some spiders on me while a snake is wrapped around my arm in the dark and I'd be okay, maybe. If you mention the dentist, my whole body tightens and I feel sick to my stomach. It's a fear I've had since childhood, maybe since Dr. Gordon told me I never brushed my teeth and to get out of his office (I do brush my teeth and I always have, I can't help my genetics though). He meant it, and I had to pick my 8 year old body out of the dental chair and walk out of his office never to return again.

Let's fast forward to present day. Bret and I went on a date to the dentist the other night. I thought if I threw in the word "date" or "activity" I could trick myself. Our dentist in Alameda is truly a family operated business. When you call it is the 16 year old's cell phone and when you walk in the mom is doing the cleaning, dad doing the dental work, daughters running the front office, and son tending the dog that is running around the dental office... is that even allowed? The family-ness doesn't stop there, today while getting my teeth drilled the Dr. was yelling at the daughter to turn off the refrigerator and I could see her standing in front of it with her bum-crack showing, and she wasn't even bending down... I though this might lead into a family discussion on professionalism in the work place but instead another daughter came in wearing a hot topic t-shirt ready to assist her dad. They also handed me "protection goggles" i.e. sunglasses from TJ Maxx, so in the chaos, everything was extremely dim. I think this dental scenario might frighten some people but when I was there the teeth drilling was my last concern and therefor I think I will return.

5 comments:

Richard said...

I remember well the day you got fired by the dentist...except it was Dr. Pace and we immediately went next door to Dr. Long and he treated you on the spot!

Grandma Honey said...

You know, I think in some round about sort of strange way, I would feel more comfortable there too.

Richard said...

Please tell Aunt Jill to stay on her own blog until she approves all pending posts...then she can go look at others.

Diana Hulme said...

oh my gosh, crazy!!! my dentist is pretty bad here too...it's scary. yours totally tops mine though. haha!

whatthehaleman said...

I had Dr. Gordon too! Like you, I hated him and he always said I wasn't brushing or flossing enough. I think he must not kknow what he is doing or something. I remember him saying that I had a start of a cavity, but he didn't do anything. Then the next visit, it was a big cavity and I had to get a root canal...what the heck!? I have your same fear...let me know if you know of a good dentist in Fresno/Clovis...one free of butt cracks.
-Dave