Mammoth High Country

"The realities of nature surpass our most ambitious dreams" - Francois Rodin

I hit up Mammoth high country last weekend with the Adams brothers. Every year I get that itch to get lost in the wilderness. That itch is quickly satisfied when the combination of the altitude, overpacked backpack, fear of bears, and lack of 7-11's catches up to me. Whitney slipped the quote above into my pack before the trip. I couldn't think of a more appropriate quote for some of the things we encountered on the hike.


Greg was the smartest one. He made his pack lighter by burning all of his dirty shirts and socks along the way.
If you look hard you can see Greg and I on the ridge. At this point I was already cursing bringing the world's heaviest camera lens.
Greg fishing at Thousand Island Lake. Banner Peak looming in the background.
Banner Peak at sunrise.
I'm acting like the king of the world in the pic. In reality I wanted to curl up into the fetal position and surrender.
Left - Shadow Lake     Right - Banner Peak / Thousand Island lake 
My graceful jump at Badger Lakes.
Left - Brothers in the same position at camp     Right - post-hike blank stare



5 comments:

Aaron said...

Your back & legs might not have appreciated the heavy camera lens, but I sure am. These pics are great.

hudd and anna said...

beautiful. next year

whatthehaleman said...

Based on your "blank stare" photo and my inability to grow a full beard, I think you should rock the beard more...it's pretty rad

whatthehaleman said...

Oh, and that is some beautiful country! Looks like a great hike

lynn and cerise said...

those photos just blew my mind. nice work cuz.